Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 04:32:43PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > The only thing I might call "wrong" about this is just a nitpick: you
> > need a Japanese-capable locale, not a Japanese locale.  (en_US.UTF-8 is
> > fine, you don't need ja_JP.XXX.)
>
> No, I cannot _input_ Japanese character in non-Japanese locale so far.
> (Note, not _display_ but _input_).  If you can input Japanese characters
> in non-Japanese locale, how did you do?  In hexadecimal codepoint,
> or, copy-and-paste from other softwares?

My workstation is a Win2K box, running Putty (terminal+ssh client); I
use Windows' input methods.  (My Windows installation is also in
English.)

No X input methods work in UTF-8 yet?

> and your "SJIS" string was encoded in ISO-2022-JP.  By the way,
> I don't know the word from two kanji characters, though a big
> Japanese dictionary might have the word.  I cannot confirm the
> character I am now reading is what you really intended.

I repeated it to show what it came out to be, if interpreted as SJIS.
My own mails are never sent in SJIS.

> This is _really_ important, though 8bit-language-speakers who
> are careless about i18n might ignore this.  I don't pretend

There's no doubt that it was wrongly encoded.  I saw the same thing in
his message that you said you did: æøåç.

> I didn't understand Tollef's mail.  I _really_ didn't understand.
> If your mail software accidentally displays Tollef's "Japanese"
> characters, your mail software _doesn't_ support MIME "charset".
>
> Why did you think Tollef's mail was encoded in SJIS?

Not that it was; just that it could have been.  He might have just (like
you mentioned) copy-and-pasted it from a Kanji list.  That would explain
why the two pairs of numbers, if read as 16-bit integers, are very close
together.

Or it could be coincidental, and we won't really know unless he (I don't
know the gender of that name either) tells us, so I won't waste any more
time hypothesizing.  (Bad habit.)

Tollef, could you clarify what you meant to do?

--
Glenn Maynard