Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

* Tomohiro KUBOTA

| > 日本語		ja_JP.ISO-2022-JP
|
| Hmm, I think it is not useful because we cannot input Japanese character
| unless configuring Japanese locale.  It is just "the key for this locked
| box is inside the box" situation.  (Usage of ISO-8859-1 character before
| definition of locale is also this situation.)

No, this is wrong.

tfheen@arabella ~ > locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
tfheen@arabella ~ > æøåç

(in an xterm).  What you need to do is configure your keymap properly.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.