Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

Hi,

At 17 Jan 2002 18:07:54 +0100,
Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> * Tomohiro KUBOTA
>
> | > 日本語		ja_JP.ISO-2022-JP
> |
> | Hmm, I think it is not useful because we cannot input Japanese character
> | unless configuring Japanese locale.  It is just "the key for this locked
> | box is inside the box" situation.  (Usage of ISO-8859-1 character before
> | definition of locale is also this situation.)
>
> No, this is wrong.
>
> tfheen@arabella ~ > locale
> LANG=POSIX
> LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
> LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
> LC_TIME="POSIX"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
> LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
> LC_PAPER="POSIX"
> LC_NAME="POSIX"
> LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
> LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
> LC_ALL=
> tfheen@arabella ~ > ????
>
> (in an xterm).

I don't understand what you mean by this.  You mean, what is "wrong"?
And, the output of "locale" command means what in this context?
(Of course I understand what "locale" command outputs.)

>  What you need to do is configure your keymap properly.

This is wrong, because keymap is not enough for Japanese input.
Well, you cannot configure keymap to input Japanese.

BTW, the contents of your mail was illegal encoding ... It
contained my ISO-2022-JP-encoded Japanese and your 8bit
characters (0xe6, 0xf8, 0xe5, 0xe7), though the mail header
insists the contents is ISO-8859-1.  Of course, ISO-2022-JP-
encoded JIS X 0208 characters in ISO-8859-1 encoding is
illegal.  (I imagine your 0xe6 0xf8 0xe5 0xe7 sequence in
your mail is intended to be ISO-8859-1, I imagined from your
mail header.  Thus, 0xe6 is "ae", 0xf8 is "o/", 0xe5 is "a"
with circle, and 0xe7 is "c," .  What did you want to mean?)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/