Re: another reason why requiring NMs to be sponsored is a bad idea

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:53:52PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:12:34AM +0100, Joerg Wendland wrote:
> > I think this is the problem we have with sponsorship. We limit judgement
> > over prospective developers to their package they want to have sponsored.
> > If such a developer has a package that nobody wants, he is not considered.
> An NM should be able to quickly figure out that if he has a package that
> nobody wants, he will /not/ find a sponsor.

An NM who joins because none of the existing developers are interested in
the piece of software he and his workmakes *crucially* need won't find
a sponsor easily by that argument either. Although, in such a case,
the NM's AM probably ought to act as a sponsor (and sponsors should
definitely be asking things like `Why package this piece of software,
when we already have that piece of software which does essentially the
same thing?'), which removes the problem.

Cheers,
aj

The daffodils are coming. Are you?
      linux.conf.au, February 2002, Brisbane, Australia
                                --- http://linux.conf.au/