Re: another reason why requiring NMs to be sponsored is a bad idea

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 07:53:52PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:12:34AM +0100, Joerg Wendland wrote:
>
> > I think this is the problem we have with sponsorship. We limit judgement
> > over prospective developers to their package they want to have sponsored.
> > If such a developer has a package that nobody wants, he is not considered.
>
> An NM should be able to quickly figure out that if he has a package that
> nobody wants, he will /not/ find a sponsor.  An NM who packages software
> nobody wants is not contributing anything useful to Debian, so why
> should anyone be surprised that no one wants to help?  The current NM
> process requires the prospective developer to show that he /does/ have
> something useful to contribute.

NMs could also be encouraged to contact the maintainers of packages
related or similar to their new packages. Perhaps those maintainers
would be interested in sponsoring.

For example I am happy to be approached directly by anyone needing
sponsorship of electronics or ham radio related packages.

Hamish