another reason why requiring NMs to be sponsored is a bad idea

I just read in DWN that there are now 30 people waiting for sponsors.
So now we are, essentially, turning away volunteers.

In looking at the list of people waiting the first thing I see is a guy
who has packaged some ruby libraries.  I know nothing about ruby and so
naturally am not inclined to sponsor those packages, since my sponsorship
would be pretty useless.

In fact the only people who are really worthwhile sponsors for him are
people who know ruby, and while I'm sure there's more than one developer
who qualifies, I doubt there are that terribly many.  What if they are all
~MIA (please note that I am not in any way suggesting that this is the
case)?  I guess ruby on debian is in for a tough time.

The current sponsorship system has serious potential to damage the
succession process for specific areas of expertise.

Sponsorship doesn't buy any more trust in developers than the old signing
scheme.  I don't see what use it is.  If a new maintainer's packages are
broken and useless, just cheerfully dump them, they are only in unstable.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."