Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

Hi,

At Thu, 17 Jan 2002 13:52:41 -0500,
Glenn Maynard wrote:

> cat /etc/locale.alias
>
> doesn't and can't support that tag.  Since I'm on a UTF-8 terminal, I
> see garbage in those aliases.  This shouldn't happen in system-supplied
> textual configuration files.

Agree.  And, (at least) until everyone will come to use UTF-8,
I can say "Since I'm on an EUC-JP terminal, I see garbage in
those aliases."  Please substitute EUC-JP into any favorite
encoding.

> Not everyone uses Emacs. (Especially as a dropin for /bin/cat. :)

Right.  Even if everyone uses Emacs, Emacs is not the only software
they use.

> > > I propose that ISO-8859-1 version of /etc/locale.alias to be
> > > prepared in /usr/share/doc/locales/examples/ directory.  The
> > > manpage can have an instruction how to use the file.  The
> > > default /etc/locale.alias should not contain ISO-8859-1 locale
> > > names.
>
> I wouldn't want to encourage ISO-8859-1 in it at all, so I'd rather not
> see that.  Examples should show *good* usage; this would be a poor
> example.

I basically agree with you.  I want to fully agree with you.
However, Alaster says that there are people who need such
illegal ISO-8859-1 locale names for compatibility...  This
is why I suggested to disable ISO-8859-1 locale names in default
and prepare a way and instruction to enable these illegal locale
names by hand.  I agree that the cleanest way is to disable
such illegal ISO-8859-1 locale names at all.

However, ISO-8859-1 locale names are _illegal_.  It is against
the basic concept of "locale" mechanism.  Someone who want to
use such illegal locale names should be able to explain why they
are really needed.

> The program (or underlying libraries) could reasonably parse /etc/aliases as
> ASCII; if any conversions are done, that would probably just return
> error.

Yes.  In future, we might come to accept UTF-8 for this purpose,
but not now.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/