Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

Hi,

At Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:08:22 -0500,
Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:57:26PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > Names of locales should be locale-free.  If a name of a locale is
> > not ASCII (for example, EUC-JP), then I have to set locale to EUC-JP
> > and then I can use the name.  It is useless.
>
> No, not useless; read Alastair's message.  There are ways to do that
> without breaking consistency, though.

Are you saying about tags like emacs tag?  Even with tags, only one
encoding can be used for a file.  If ISO-8859-1 is used for
/etc/locale.alias, it means that we cannot use non-ISO-8859-1 characters.

If someone write ISO-8859-1 in /etc/locale.alias, it means someone
cannot write EUC-JP in the file, and vice versa.  Since we cannot
give priority for any groups or regions against other groups or
regions, both of ISO-8859-1 (European-languages local) and EUC-JP
(Japanese local) must not be used.  (Of course none of ISO-8859-2,
3,4,..., KOI8-R, KOI8-U, EUC-KR, EUC-CN, EUC-TW, Big5, TIS620,
ISCII, ...).   UTF-8 will be the only solution when we will have
prepared to use it.  Until it, we should use ASCII.

> > Not HTML.  I am saying about "wml" source of Debian web pages.
> > For example,
>
> That question stood on its own, actually.  (Though, I'd prefer to make
> my webserver automatically recode documents based on the user-agent than
> have non-UTF-8 HTML locally.)

I am not talking about webserver nor user-agent.  If you want to talk
about them, what do you want to insist?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/