Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:58:36PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Are you saying about tags like emacs tag?  Even with tags, only one
> encoding can be used for a file.  If ISO-8859-1 is used for
> /etc/locale.alias, it means that we cannot use non-ISO-8859-1 characters.

I think he means using /etc/locale.alias as a list of locales to
display in interfaces, as they're a little more human-readable for
average users.  I can see doing that, but there are better ways.

> > That question stood on its own, actually.  (Though, I'd prefer to make
> > my webserver automatically recode documents based on the user-agent than
> > have non-UTF-8 HTML locally.)
>
> I am not talking about webserver nor user-agent.  If you want to talk
> about them, what do you want to insist?

Again, the question was just a side comment: it would be a neat thing
for Vim to do.  (But not something worth spending any amount of time coding;
at least, not for me.)

--
Glenn Maynard