Re: non-ASCII characters in /etc/locales.alias ?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:57:26PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Names of locales should be locale-free.  If a name of a locale is
> not ASCII (for example, EUC-JP), then I have to set locale to EUC-JP
> and then I can use the name.  It is useless.

No, not useless; read Alastair's message.  There are ways to do that
without breaking consistency, though.

> Please note that the file I am talking about is a mixture of
> various encodings.  Though it is illegal, I need to edit it

Eh.  Gross.

> > I wonder if there's any way to get Vim to look for
> > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=Shift-JIS">
> > lines in HTML documents and change fileencoding accordingly.
>
> Not HTML.  I am saying about "wml" source of Debian web pages.
> For example,

That question stood on its own, actually.  (Though, I'd prefer to make
my webserver automatically recode documents based on the user-agent than
have non-UTF-8 HTML locally.)

--
Glenn Maynard