Re: kernel-image-2.2.20-udma100-ext3, initrd and ext3

#include <hallo.h>
John H. Robinson, IV wrote on Fri Jan 11, 2002 um 09:49:12AM:

> > All this will be easier if you use "auto" as fs type and WHEN Herbert
> > Xu finally applies MY PATCH submitted a while ago.
>
> would type auto work with a fresh, hand compiled kernel from kernel.org?

Why not? On mounting the /, the kernel's builtin autodetection is used.
Later, "mount" uses its heuristic, and I did not hear about big problems
in last months. Only if the ext2 module has been loaded after ext3,
there may be problems, but this would be fixed with the mentioned patch.

> if not, the i would not recommend the use of auto in that case.

It is a patch for mkinitrd

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--