kernel-image-2.2.20-udma100-ext3, initrd and ext3

I have had some HW problems with my computer which resulted in many
hangups and long fsck each boot, so I decided to switch to ext3.  There
were no problem except that root fs was still mounted as ext2.  Kernel
is kernel-image-2.4.17-586tsc version 2.4.17-1 from the distribution.
The loadmodules script in the initrd does not load ext3. When I added
modprobe -k ext3 my problem was solved. I'd like to ask you if it is
the right way how to solve the problem.

--
Marek,  http://m-a.sk