prism2 driver package anyone ?

Hi Bastiaan,

[To readers of debian-devel: please CC me and possibly
gibraltar-list@mail.vianova.at in replies so that we can follow
discussions. I am currently not subscribed to debian-devel.]

Bastiaan Niels Veelo wrote:
> I have hopes that my Gibraltar box can act as a wireless LAN Access
> Point. I bought a cheap PCI card (D-Link DWL-500) which is based on the
> Prism2 chipset. Jouni Malinen has written a driver that supports a so
> called Host AP mode of these chipsets, turning the host computer into an
> access point, without the need for special firmware. Would you please
> consider inclusion of his driver for the next release of Gibraltar?
>
> You can find everything you need here:
> http://people.ssh.com/jkm/Prism2/
>
> I have compiled the driver on my laptop and it seems to work fine (did
> not actually test networking though, that would require swapping PC
> intestins).
If I understand the web page correctly, it is mainly a user-space
software and a stand-alone kernel module that can be compiled when the
kernel source is available, but does not need a patched kernel tree.
Therefore it would be very easy if there was a Debian package for the
user-space software and a package containing the module source code
(ready for being automatically compiled with make-kpkg).

I am CCing this to the debian-devel mailing list in the hope that
somebody is interested in creating a package of this software (if there
is one already and I have missed it, then please flame away... :-) ). If
nobody wants to maintain such a package, then I will create on for my
use, which will probably not find its way into Debian unstable because
of lack of time on my side. But I would be more than willing to assist
in the initial packaging when somebody would maintain it afterwards.

best regards,
Rene