Re: postfix/postfix-tls vs. smtpd bug

> > I simply see no need to have them both installed at the same time.
> > Make them conflict. (smtpd is intended to isolate sendmail on firewalls.
> > Postfix does not need this since it already is modular...)
>
> valid point, but i wanted to use smtpd as an alternative transport to
> postfix to be able to do more custom content filtering. but that failed
> anyway, so i guess a conflict would be the best...

smtpd does not do content filtering, but it does offer incredibly good control
over which mail is accepted. It requires a 'real' MTA as a back end, and
integrates best with sendmail.

A rules file of allow and deny rules is read for each incoming message, and
the first rule to match on source IP, source envelope address and destination
envelope address will be triggered.

This gives it a performance hit compared to a normal MTA, but for people who
need it the flexibility makes up for it.

John Lines

p.s. hope to upload an update to smtpd which fixes the install this week.