Re: Debian.rpm

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 01:03:37 +0100
Wichert Akkerman <wichert@wiggy.net> wrote:
> > Well, what you're suggesting isn't really feasible ;)
>
> Someone actually did this a couple of years ago so it is feasible.

Well, I'm kind of thinking he meant an automated procedure.

To do a "real" upgrade, lots of things need to be done, like figuring
out what's installed, figuring out what *to* install, so on and so
forth.

Considering we have no way to be relatively sure what a package on a Red
Hat system really *is*(since .rpms are downloaded from everywhere, and
rarely have a coherent naming scheme[though luckily our namespace isn't
too crowded yet, so most things are allright])... Anyways, I'm just
being anal :)

I have actually "upgraded" a RH box to a Debian box, while it was
running, but I'd still call it nontrivial, and rather extraordinarily
difficult to automate.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \