Re: Debian.rpm

*  (Karl M. Hegbloom)

|     Tollef> * Wichert Akkerman
|     Tollef> | Previously David B Harris wrote:
|     Tollef> | > Well, what you're suggesting isn't really feasible ;)
|     Tollef> |
|     Tollef> | Someone actually did this a couple of years ago so it is feasible.
|
|     Tollef> Run-time upgrading from RH to Debian is very much feasible
|     Tollef> and very, very cool.  No reboot required, even.
|
|  How did you do it?  Is the process documented anyplace??

unpack dpkg with ar + tar, for each package in rpm -qa; rpm -e
package; dpkg -i equivalient deb.  Be careful when removing stuff like
libc.

At the end, reinstall all the packages in order to check that you have
all the necessary files in the right places.

This is a rough description; for me it was more a learning experience,
at least the first time.  Having a couple of emacsen and sash shells
up and running is a nice thing.

|     Tollef> It was a bit scary doing it to my home system which will
|     Tollef> only boot from the hard drive, no floppy, and won't boot
|     Tollef> from the cdrom, though. :)
|
|  Sounds as scary as my recent migration to XFS + LVM + GRUB.

Yeah, I migrated to GRUB a little after.  Haven't looked at LVM yet.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.