Re: Recent Woody upgrade, TeTeX, XFree86, and Mozilla

Michael Piefel <piefel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> > (1) Accept that anyone putting something in /usr/local/share/texmf
> >     will actually want to use it
> >[...]
> > (2) Commenting out all TEXMFLOCAL stuff in the default texmf.cnf.
> >     However, this means that the sysadmin has to explicitly enable
> >     TeX et al to see /usr/local
>
> That is, of course, the point. It is not as if /usr/local/lib/texmf/ls-R
> was a handcrafted file which an evil installation script tries to
> overwrite. It is a lookup file which is not intended to be changed by
> hand at all.

Sounds like a perfect candidate to be moved to /var then.  If needed
you could provide a symlink from /usr/local/lib/texmf/ls-R.  This is
similar to the way all of the X config files are set up, as symlinks
to stuff in /etc/X11.  Besides, most of the other ls-R files seem to
put there already.

> Automatically generating it is what you would usually expect. So it
> doesn't make sense that this should not be the default. If 2 out of 1000
> admins want this file to be left alone, they should change their
> configuration; it is unreasonable to require all the others to change
> theirs because we have a philosophical desire not to touch anything in
> /usr/local.

Automagically regenerate the one in /var and all will be well :-)
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development