Re: Recent Woody upgrade, TeTeX, XFree86, and Mozilla

> (1) Accept that anyone putting something in /usr/local/share/texmf
>     will actually want to use it
>[...]
> (2) Commenting out all TEXMFLOCAL stuff in the default texmf.cnf.
>     However, this means that the sysadmin has to explicitly enable
>     TeX et al to see /usr/local

That is, of course, the point. It is not as if /usr/local/lib/texmf/ls-R
was a handcrafted file which an evil installation script tries to
overwrite. It is a lookup file which is not intended to be changed by
hand at all.

Automatically generating it is what you would usually expect. So it
doesn't make sense that this should not be the default. If 2 out of 1000
admins want this file to be left alone, they should change their
configuration; it is unreasonable to require all the others to change
theirs because we have a philosophical desire not to touch anything in
/usr/local.

Bye,
    Mike

--