Re: Recent Woody upgrade, TeTeX, XFree86, and Mozilla

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 04:44:02AM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > So, which of the various tet-tex packages do I bug report?
>
> I'm not sure. Try grepping for mktexlsr or texhash in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/t*.p*

Ahh, that's the ticket...

grep "/usr/local" /var/lib/dpkg/info/t*.p*

only shows tetex-base, but:

grep "texhash" /var/lib/dpkg/info/t*.p*

shows tetex-base and tetex-extra, accounting for the multiple times I saw
this message.

It seems that texhash is actually the culprit, as tetex-base.postinst only
creates directories in /usr/local and then calls texhash. tetex-extra only
calles texhash, and does so in both postinst and postrm scripts.

> > Does lintian check this sort of violation? (I could then figure it out
> > from my .deb cache)
>
> I don't think it does. (It would seem hard to check for such a thing, too)

Well, I can think of a way to check, but it would have to be explicit,
like the use of cp/rm/mv where the target is /usr/local/*. That wouldn't
work in this case, as texhash is the one actually calling this path.

> > Does apt-get log its activity?
>
> Not automatically.

Thought so...

> > > It's a 9 MB package that takes over 26 MB of disk space to install, surely
> > > that's not the best way to package it.
> >
> > Let me put it this way. Currently the unstable release of Mozilla is 0 MB,
> > the available replacement for this package is 26 MB and produces actual
> > functionality that the 0 MB package doesn't. Which would you rather have.
> >
> > Or yet another way: The stable version is 9 MB but can't communicate with
> > my bank, but the 26 MB version can. Is 15 MB such a large price to pay?
>
> You do understand that I agree with you? :) My comment was about not being
> tiptop, I said it's fine for unstable...

Well, I sort of understood that ;-)

It just wasn't clear what you thought wrong with the Progeny package...

Luck,

Dwarf