Re: Well done on new devel pages

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 07:41:47PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > Both CSS and HTML is made to degrade gracefully, that is, if somebody
> > uses a browser without CSS support, he'll still see the content, but
> > it won't look the way the web page's author intended.

You can _never_ expect it to look a certain way.  You can only hope.

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 08:14:39PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Yeah, but it has to look at least decently. IME one spends less time
> adjusting nested tables to work across browsers than adjusting CSS and the
> CSS-less stuff to work across browsers. If someone can prove me wrong,
> please, feel free :)

You're misusing tables.  A good metric of when you're doing something you
shouldn't is if you set "border=0" and don't use "<th>".  A wise web page
writer should look into the "<div>" and "<span>" tags.

HTML is for giving content in a structured manner; it's up to the browser
to represent it as it thinks it should.  CSS is a method of giving the
browser engine additional hints for how to show it.

I recently remade the web site for the FreeRADIUS project.  Take a look
at the source.  It's not prefect, but it is correct and it's guaranteed to
look as it _should_ in every browser.

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>  | Policeman: You're playing God!
unix bruhjo, shutterbug, bookworm    | Dr. Hfuhruhurr: *Somebody* has to!