Re: speed of LDAP?

    Russell> No (IMHO).  The sample /etc/nsswitch.conf shipped with
    Russell> libnss-ldap has it look for everything in LDAP.  I have
    Russell> mine setup to use LDAP for passwd and group only.  I have
    Russell> attached my /etc/nsswitch.conf file to this message.

Thats what I did too. Although, I give files a higher priority then
ldap...

My file is attached.

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         files ldap
group:          files ldap
shadow:         files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
The only part which I don't like is the "netgroup: nis" part, I
probably should delete it. What does it do?

    Russell> Also Brian I just checked your machine and it seems that
    Russell> you are using quite a bit of swap space.  Maybe if you
    Russell> had more RAM then the database files for LDAP would stay
    Russell> in cache and the libnss shared objects would also stay in
    Russell> cache giving considerably better performance.

    Russell> I would suggest increasing your RAM by 50% at least.

...and I thought 64Mb RAM would be plenty. Good thing I got 128Mb
instead... ;-)
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>