Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)

> Date:    Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:06:43 +1100
> To:      Jim Lynch <jim@laney.edu>
> cc:      Erik Hollensbe <erik@powells.com>, debian-devel@lists.debian.org,
> 	 jim@earth.laney.edu
> From:    Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au>
> Subject: Re: bugs + rant + constructive criticism (long)
>
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 06:16:17AM -0800, Jim Lynch wrote:
> > If you want to advocate the use of unstable software, please be my
> > guest... but not on #debian. it changes daily, and can potentially
> > break every day, potentially disasterously. So -no-. It's NOT
> > appropriate to tell people to run servers on unstable software.
>
> if i ever happen to be on #debian and someone has a problem where the
> best solution is to upgrade to unstable (either a full dist-upgrade or
> just selected packages) then i certainly will recommend exactly that.

So long as you warn the person about (1) general unstability and (2)
unstability produced by upgrading, no problem. Fail to do that (I don't
think you will) and you represent a problem. I will act in some way if
I see it.

> it is *always* appropriate to provide a good solution to a problem -
> whether it accords with your opinion or not.

That's fairly general, enough to be overbroad and out of this context
and in some other; in that other, broader context, of course I agree.

-Jim