Re: Quake 2 sources GPL'd

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 11:06:11AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> So if I create a game with _no_ levels, but the tools to create them,
> then is it none-free? Just because the only ones available are non-free,
> doesn't preclude that it is possible to create your own. The engine has
> much more uses than just to play games (as the README in the source
> says, also for educational purposes).

The problem is that even if you made levels for it, the game would still
be useless. You would still need new models for all the
objects/players/weapons, new textures and sprites for everything, etc.

An entire new game world is what is needed. Perhaps there are people in
the Free software community willing to begin a project to replicate the
Quake II data under the GPL?

  - k

--
copyleft (c) 2001, Kyle McMartin