Re: [SOLVED] locale issue with Matlab 6.1 and JVM?

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 05:56:09PM -0500, Warren A. Layton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 03:37:30PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> >
> > Running matlab 6.1 on current woody give me a JVM error about which
> > Mathworks gives a report:
> >
> > http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/27132.shtml
> >
> > This is a complete non sense for me. I used a LANG=C or LANG=en_US
> > setup. No results.
> > JVM is BD 1.1.8 and they add their own copy of jdk1.1 with native threads..
> > My current trial is to use woody jdk1.1 instead apparently with again
> > with no results (but this could be a problem of mine in building a valid
> > tree for using the local pkg).
> >
> > Ideas? I do not know if this should be considered a matlab-specific
> > problem or not...
>
> I had a similar problem. Do you have the locales package installed?
>
> Warren

Bingo!
That was a fresh woody installation (done from floppies (11-14 edition) + net),
and apparently locales tables has not been generated at all
at installation time. I think it's an issue for locales install
at that time - anyway I'll keep an eye on reported bugs.
In fact also /etc/environment was absent.
I solved by dpkg-reconfigure locales and generating needed tables.
All works fine now also with non en_US setup (ie LANG=italian)

--
Francesco P. Lovergine