Re: Can two packages have the same upstream source?

    Russell> I am working on developing SE Linux versions of some of
    Russell> the base packages.  To package these in the normal way I
    Russell> would have diff files and orig archives, which forces me
    Russell> to upload a second copy of the orig.tar.gz file causing
    Russell> file duplication in the source tree.

    Russell> Is it possible for my package to use the same upstream
    Russell> source archive as someone else's package?  If so is it
    Russell> recommended?

    Russell> If it's possible and not regarded as a really bad idea
    Russell> then how do I do it?

SE Linux is ??????

Is it desirable to include just one SE version, or would this not work
without a special SE kernel? (this seems to be the long term strategy
for Kerberos - just have one version of the package which supports
operation with and without Kerberos).

Otherwise, maybe you could send a patch to the package maintainer
which builds two versions of the package?

However, I don't think there are any real problems with doing what you
want, just that it would use more diskspace...
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>