Can two packages have the same upstream source?

I am working on developing SE Linux versions of some of the base packages.
To package these in the normal way I would have diff files and orig archives,
which forces me to upload a second copy of the orig.tar.gz file causing file
duplication in the source tree.

Is it possible for my package to use the same upstream source archive as
someone else's package?  If so is it recommended?

If it's possible and not regarded as a really bad idea then how do I do it?