Re: Can two packages have the same upstream source?

On Mit, 19 Dez 2001, Russell Coker wrote:

Hello,

> I am working on developing SE Linux versions of some of the base packages.
> To package these in the normal way I would have diff files and orig archives,
> which forces me to upload a second copy of the orig.tar.gz file causing file
> duplication in the source tree.
>
> Is it possible for my package to use the same upstream source archive as
> someone else's package?  If so is it recommended?
>
> If it's possible and not regarded as a really bad idea then how do I do it?

I want to do the same with ipac-ng (IP Accounting for iptables).
One package saves the Accounting data in files and the second packages into
a postgresql database.

I found xscreensaver which builds some packages from the same source.
Maybe the rules file from this packages helps a bit.

--
	Noèl Köthe