Re: XFree: "could not open default font 'fixed'"

This is something I've seen happen when X doesn't agree with glibc about
the character set.

For example, I used to have fi_FI as my LC_CTYPE.  But according to
/etc/locale.gen:

fi_FI ISO-8859-1

And according to /usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias:

fi_FI:                                          fi_FI.ISO8859-15

(There is also a fi_FI entry without the colon, but this one overrides it.)

Setting LC_CTYPE explicitly to fi_FI.ISO8859-1 fixes it for me.

--
Richard Braakman
Will write free software for money.