XFree: "could not open default font 'fixed'"

I'm using the newest woody (i386) with kernel 2.4.9.

Since some time I tried to use X (startx) again, but I got the "could not open
default font 'fixed'" error. I knew X worked about 3 month ago so I searched the
net and got a rather lot of tips how to solve it. Well none did help, so I
decided to remove any X-packages and all depends (more than 120 packages) and
start fresh, removing all leftover X11 directories.

I started just with xfree86-common, xserver-common, xserver-xfree86 and
xbase-clients and well the error was already there. Okay may be just a missing
depends on xfonts-base with I installed together with xfs. Same error again.
What's the minimal X installation which doesn't show this error?

O. Wyss