Re: Usage of usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

> recently I received a bug report about usage of a pixmap file in the
> /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps directory though it's never been used
> for development there. According to FHS the /usr/X11R6/include is
> for development stuff only - so why do many user-oriented packages
> put their stuff there?

Probably because the current menu manual suggests to do so:

3.4. Icons

     Please, make sure the icons you specify are always available on the
     system.  So, if you want to have an icon with your menu entry, the
     preferred method is to supply the icon with that package.  Also, to
     prevent the distribution of icons files to turn too much into a mess,
     please put all icon files in the directory
     `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/{bitmaps,pixmaps}'.