Re: chkconfig for Debian

Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:19:02AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > [Jérôme Marant]
> > > What in chkconfig is better than update-rc.d that justify we switch
> > > to it?
> >
> > --list and --add

[...]

>   apt-cache show file-rc
>
> or
>
>   ls /etc/rcX.d/

But those doesn't support Debian adopting to it's physical position.

If you move a portable round, you don't want to uninstal/install
software or changing links in /etc/rc* depending on where the computer
are and what connections it have.  Think of an PDA running Debian and
have different ways to communicate with it's the net (eg. Ethernet
when home, 803.11 when at work and Bluetooth/GPRS Mobile phone when on
buss/car).

It's hard as it is with the services we do have now days, we don't
need to do it harder.  Some services (for instance receiving mail) is
something you want to constantly do when at work, but not when you are
on the run.

/Jackson