Re: chkconfig for Debian

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 11:06:03AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >
> > A portable version of RedHat's chkconfig is available from
> > <URL:http://www.fastcoder.net/~thumper/software/sysadmin/chkconfig/>.
> > I've got the maintainer to add debian/ content to build a debian
> > package out of the box.
[...]
>   What in chkconfig is better than update-rc.d that justify we switch
>   to it?

chkconfig is a chimaera of update-rc.d++ and a sysvinit-editor:
* Listing: chkconfig --list
* Incremental changing: chkconfig --level 4 portmap off
   with update-rc.d you'd have to explicitly specify that you _still_
   want portmap on in runlevel 3 _and_ use the -f Option.

chkconfig'll remove the links while the init-script is still there.

chkconfig --add is roughly aequivalent to "update-rc.d add defaults"
with the addition that it reads the default runlevels from the
init-script itself.

chkconfig can be used to control services started by xinetd, too.

chkconfig includes all the functionality of update-rc.d and
behaves very differently than update-rc.d, it does not really fit into
Debians init-system. chkconfig's usability is severly reduced until
_we_ ship runlevel-defaults in our initscripts, too.

Imho it'd be nice to have:
-list-rc.d, which'll output the current configuration.
-default-runlevels coded in the initscript[1]. (At this time you'll
 have to look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.postinst if you want to find
 out what the original runlevel-config was.)

If the former were implemented (and required by policy) it'd be easy
to write a nice switch-service-on-off program as a substitute for
chkconfig's bonus features.
          cu andreas
[1] RedHat example:
#!/bin/sh
#
# nfs           This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               the NFS services.
#
# chkconfig: - 60 20
#              networks. This service provides NFS server functionality, \
#              which is configured via the /etc/exports file.