Re: Debian menus policy

Markus Garscha wrote:

> i listen to your discussion a while, and i've a annotation:
> you talk about a multi-dimensional menu structure where each user can
> choose its favorite model. i think it is a good idea - for startup!
> isn't there any posiblity to adopt the pefered menu-functions to the
> users needs? the problem is, that you cannot predict the favourite menu
> of an end-user, you only can estimate.
> i think a user should have the posibility to choose his prefered "view"
> and then (if he wishes) the frequent used items move in foreground. this
> can be done by counting the menu-item calls, or better you have an
> algorithm who notice references between programms (e.g. after reading
> mail with mutt the browser is started to visit some links).
> please remember, this is only an idea. i'm looking for such an
> "algorithm" by myself because i try to adopt the menu-structure of a
> large website to the users behaviour...

It sounds like what Microsoft does in Windows ME, 2000, and XP. I find it
very annoying to have the menu items move around (or hide) on their own.

I think you are right, though, that some sort of highly configurable or
even somewhat adaptive menu would be good. Relying on package maintainers
completely for the menu layout can't possibly lead to a structure that is
entirely consistent or that everyone will like.

> p.s. sorry for my poor english :)

Not at all, your English is good enough to get your ideas across! Surely
far better than my German, which is pretty much limited to incorrect but
hopefully comprehensible sentences like "Ich nein sprechen sie
Deutsche." :-)

Craig