Re: Ports disappeared from www.debian.org?

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:50:38AM -0800, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > > Is it just me, or did the link to http://www.debian.org/ports disappear
> > > from the main page?  Any reason for this?
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2001/debian-www-200112/msg00011.html
>
> Josip, and the rest of the debian www page maintainers,
>
> Please add the ports link back to the front page.  I don't remember offhand
> where it was previously, but under "Distribution" on the left hand pane of
> the front page seems like the right place.
>
> c.f.
> www.netbsd.org lists ports as "Supported Hardware" under "Distribution"
> www.openbsd.org lists ports as "Hardware Platforms" under "About OpenBSD"

It was under "Distribution", yeah. I don't quite see how this could fit
under distribution because the meaning of the word distribution there is
the act of distributing (and not as in a Linux distribution).

(Before you complain, I didn't pick that confusing term for the section
name.)

I thought about adding it below Developers' Corner link, but some of the
port pages are to be used by normal users, not only developers.

Note also that I separated the "International" link -- I'd have removed it
like the ports link, but that section generally is aimed at all users (that
speak another language).

> I think one of the main things that make Debian such a good distribution
> is our wide support for different hardware. Shouldn't we highlight that?

Yes, though our port pages are in general somewhat suboptimal to be
highlighted :| The introductory page deserves mention, of course, but not
pages that have a "News" section from 1999, and those that are just generic
stuff. <sigh>

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.