Re: [RFC] GTK+ theme naming

Hello,

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 08:37:06AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:19:57AM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:37:20PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > >   Yes there is; they're all GTK+ theme engines, and the intent is to
> > > indicate that in the package name.  (it's arguable that there are better
> > > names, but that's why they're all the same)
> >
> > I realize that they are actually all engines; however the current package
> > names do not reflect that they are *themes*, and that is what 99% of the
> > people would install them for. (Not for taking the engine supplied and write
> > their own them with it)
>
> But the point is (I think) that we decided that Debian *wouldn't*
> package all those hundreds of GTK themes which contain no code ---
> basically pixmap ones, also some thinice ones etc --- but that it
> *was* appropriate to package the actual engines which contain code.

Right, I overlooked that fact (not packaging no-engine themes) in my
original post. From that POV it makes already more sense to have the
gtk-engines-* names.

What I (right now) think makes most sense, is splitting the engine themes up
into an gtk-engine and a gtk-theme package. I know that it does at least for
the one I'd like to package, because the theme is known as Crux but the
engine is called "eazel engine" - now what should a single gtk-engine
package be called?
Maybe the other engine packages should be split up as well in an engine
package containing only the library and another with the default theme from
that engine.

Comments? Does this add too much packages to the archive?

And how about the naming for engine packages? Would it be bad if I break the
habit and call it gtk-engine-eazel instead of using "-engines-", since it
does only contain one?

Regards,

Filip

--
<rcw> "Are you sure this spool directory is supposed to be 100GB?"
<rcw> "The printer spool directory never gets above a few MB, I think