Re: [RFC] GTK+ theme naming

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 07:37:20PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:23:52PM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck <mechanix@debian.org> was heard to say:
> > Thus my question: why are all these packages called gtk-engines-foo?
> > For Eds packages, it makes sense, although it would probably be more correct
> > to call them gtk-engine-foo as each of them contains only one theme engine;
> > but for the others there's no valid reason at all.
>
>   Yes there is; they're all GTK+ theme engines, and the intent is to
> indicate that in the package name.  (it's arguable that there are better
> names, but that's why they're all the same)

I realize that they are actually all engines; however the current package
names do not reflect that they are *themes*, and that is what 99% of the
people would install them for. (Not for taking the engine supplied and write
their own them with it)

>   The themes from the GTK+ source were, for obvious reasons, the first
> ones, and everyone else independently modeled their names and
> descriptions after those.

For the original themes, it makes sense, as mentioned in my original post,
but not for the others (IMO).

>   If you want to rename them all to gtk-theme-foo or something, I would
> go along with it, but with the freeze coming soon, you'd have to do a
> lot of convincing of other people.

It's not a good time to start pushing for this, agreed.

> Especially since the gtk-engine-*
> convention was established some time ago, and we'd need to make sure
> that people upgrading from stable don't lose their theme engines.
>   (read: Lots Of Dummy Packages)

And this is the only good reason (the freeze is only a temporary issue) I
see to not change current packages' names. Although they will not really
"lose" them without dummy packages; only they won't get new versions
anymore.

Anyway, I think I'll still go ahead and package Crux as gtk-theme-crux
within a couple of days, unless someone starts to cry out loud right now.

Regards,

Filip

--
"I will go further and claim that _no_ major software project that has been
 successful in a general marketplace (as opposed to niches) has ever gone