Hi, Adam!

First of all thanks for the links.

Adam Lazur wrote:

Have you read
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.0.0/gLSB/sysinit.html ?

In particular
http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.0.0/gLSB/initscrcomconv.html
addresses comment formatting stuff.

It would be nice to adopt a format of this fashion, as it doesn't limit
someone from adding another system init package (that doesn't use
arbitrary numbers like SysV init) in the future.

Yeah, I agree that it'd be nice to be LSB-compliant.

However the way I understand the LSB Spec they are heading toward a kind of self-organizing system where you only specify that the network has to be working or the local filesystems have to be mounted before the service can be started. While such a system would be a nice thing, it does not exist, yet. And more importantly, I'm not sure how the admin can have the control over the boot process he has now.

So the question is: How can you one create such a system whilst leaving the admin in full control (just in case)?

Another question is whether this system should try to figure out the order to start services on the fly while booting or whether it should create, say the neccessary links (or whatever "backend" is used), upon installation of the package.

Well, I'm confused :) I'll try to think this through and when things are clearer to me about what to do, I'll come back and post my ideas for comments.

Cheers,
 Mika