Re: chkconfig for Debian

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

Good point, but I think we should concentrate on extending update-rc.d
to do this. Update-rc.d is the canonical interface to the startup
system in Debian; both sysvinit and file-rc come with it. You don't
have to know how the init system works, you just call update-rc.d

Assimilating chkconfig isn't a bad idea but it should just be a
frontend to update-rc.d.

I'm at the moment hacking on a rewrite of update-rc.d. I intend to make it modular so that sysvinit and filerc can share the same code.

It will be backwards compatible, so that maintainer scripts don't need to be changed. But I plan to define some new parameters for the new functions because I find the way chkconfig does things more sensible. (*duck&run*). On the other hand chkconfig is limited in what it does. And I agree that Debian should not abopt it blindly. I intend to extend the interface to be as powerful as possible but on the other hand behave sensibly with default values.

Adding chkconfig compatibility would be trivial but I don't consider this ATM.

So this would be the right time to step forward with features that would be nice for update-rc.d.

One thing I'd really like to see is something like the default runlevel config chkconfig stores in the init.d-scripts.

My suggestion would be something like:

# rc-default: S:- 0:K20 1:- 2:S20 3:S20 4:S20 5:S20 6:K20
# rc-local:   S:- 0:K20 1:- 2:-   3:S20 4:-   5:-   6:K20

That way we can store the default-configuration and also the changes the admin might have made.

Then we could use update-rc.d --stop service to disable the service temporarily and update-rc.d --start service to enable it again and update-rc.d --default service to restore the default values.

This is very preliminary of course but I'd very much appreciate comments.

Cheers,
 Mika