Re: Debian menus policy

crdic@yahoo.com (Craig Dickson) replied:

> But click and drag are closely related operations. It's not a good
> idea to have a click pop up a menu when you have something completely
> different linked to dragging with the same button.

Indeed.  Consider Windowmaker.  Usually, left-click-and-drag selects a
region (windows inside the selection, etc.); however, left click alone
clears the previous selection.  I'd hate to lose this simply because
someone thinks that a standard "click and get menu" is a good idea.

> I still think the middle button is a better choice; it's less likely
> to conflict with other things.

Actually, I think that we should stick to the traditional behavior
of each particular window manager as much as possible.  That is, if
I'm accustomed to window manager xyz behaving in a particular way by
default on other Unix-like systems (including other Linux systems,
like RedHat), this should not change simply because I'm using a Debian
system.  Otherwise, I would consider Debian to be a rather obnoxious
distribution in the way that they do things.

If you would like to improve and standardize things, why don't you work
to make the little menu key that comes on most PCs these days pull
up the standard Debian menu?  Certainly, this is one behavior that I
think everyone can agree on.  This key works on my laptop, since I've
customized my system to use it, but AFAIK, it does not work by default
on a standard Debian system.

- Brian