Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Right.  So let's be appropriately polite and deferential with the
> FSF's name, and not call something that's based on non-free software
> "GNU".

If the Linux-kernel with a GNU userspace should be called GNU/Linux I
don't see why an AIX-kernel whit a GNU userspace shouldn't be called
GNU/AIX or a win32-kernel with a GNU userspace GNU/win32.

Any other name would be inconsisten with the reason for demanding (for
some value of demanding) our Linux-product to be named GNU/Linux.

I think a port to the windows environment is a win for Debian. The
general acceptance people talks about hasn't really happened yet. A
windows port of Debian would really help Debian while the acceptance
continues to happen.

(Well, we can discuss the name of the windows kernel. It's not a
discussion I'm interested in and wether it be w32, win32, or dos it
doesn't change the above argument.)

--
Når folk spørger mig, om jeg er nørd, bliver jeg altid ilde til mode
og svarer lidt undskyldende: "Nej, jeg bruger RedHat".