Re: Debian trademark [was: Debian GNU/w32, may ready to be started?]

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Right.  So let's be appropriately polite and deferential with the
> FSF's name, and not call something that's based on non-free software
> "GNU".

If the Linux-kernel with a GNU userspace should be called GNU/Linux I
don't see why an AIX-kernel whit a GNU userspace shouldn't be called
GNU/AIX or a win32-kernel with a GNU userspace GNU/win32.

Any other name would be inconsisten with the reason for demanding (for
some value of demanding) our Linux-product to be named GNU/Linux.

I think a port to the windows environment is a win for Debian. The
general acceptance people talks about hasn't really happened yet. A
windows port of Debian would really help Debian while the acceptance
continues to happen.

(Well, we can discuss the name of the windows kernel. It's not a
discussion I'm interested in and wether it be w32, win32, or dos it
doesn't change the above argument.)

Når folk spørger mig, om jeg er nørd, bliver jeg altid ilde til mode
og svarer lidt undskyldende: "Nej, jeg bruger RedHat".
                                -- Allan Olesen på dk.edb.system.unix