Re: virtual package (x-)editor ?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:

> > tpo@tpo2:tpo$ set|grep EDITOR
> > tpo@tpo2:tpo$ set|grep VISUAL
> > tpo@tpo2:tpo$
>
> What about 'update-alternatives --display editor'?

Not very practicable IMHO [1]. What is needed is to be able to have
something similar to "/usr/bin/sensible-editor but which is based on
alternatives/virtual-package.
*t

[1] The discussion started since I needed to predefine an editor in a
    default configuration. I.e. doing dynamic stuff *before* runtime does
    not make much sense in this particular case.

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch
	     Tel: +41 (81) 330 77 11