Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 05:08:59PM -0800, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Alec> The whole [OK], [FAILED], etc thing that RedHat does with
>     Alec> colors is nice, but not really necessary. While some
>     Alec> additional things can be useful, others are mainly eye
>     Alec> candy. I believe adding the kind of success/failure system
>     Alec> RedHat uses is mainly eyecandy.
>
>  But that "eyecandy" gives it a "more finished", "polished", "sexy",
>  or "professional" look.  Compare a Debian box booting to a Red Hat
>  one (prior to the inevitable upgrade to Debian; ahmen brothers and
>  seesters).  Which one is more estheticly appealing, to anyone besides
>  it's mother or maintainer fanatic association?

The one that runs better :) Frankly, I am one of the people that does not care if there are colors for startup script (I like 'em in ls). At
least when you are reading all of the lines you might catch if there is a major misconfiguration on the system - on RedHat you just get the
green OK and you ignore the message.

My 2 cents,
Adam