Re: [logcheck] I hear you...

* Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@hegbloom.net> [2001.11.24 15:47:51-0800]:
>  Perhaps we should assimilate "chkconfig" then?  Embrace and extend
>  it?

i vote highly against such decentralized administration, and rather
urge you to check out the file-rc package, which facilitates
everything for me.

>  I kind of like that [Ok] green lights thing they do with the init.d
>  output also.  If that is accomplished in a suitably object oriented
>  style; that is, through a documented call interface... the actual
>  output routine can be changed and made to do special things.

but these green flashy pieces of junk, which might be visually
pleasing, but otherwise don't do anything - well, they are escape
sequences that overwrite anything that the daemon might be writing to
std{out,err} during startup. in a well configured system, this is
surely not a problem, but they make debugging really hard! and, debian
looks much cooler and more professional, i find.

starting debian: debian.

yeah!

> I was Linux when Linux wasn't cool.

I was *using* Linux, no?

the only real advantage to punk music is
that nobody can whistle it.