Re: automake fun

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Neil Spring wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:25:09PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > > These rules can cause automake and/or autoconf to be rerun if
> > > timestamp skew occurs (from, say, the application of a Debian diff).
> >
> > True, but everything still works if the build system is missing
> > automake.  I gather that is the "problem" you perceive?

Build systems with no autotools should never be a problem. They are a
godsend.

Build systems with the wrong/missing version of automake, or ANY of the
packages whose m4 macros are being used (libtool, gettext...) are the
problem.

The only complete fixes are: Use proper build depends and tell whomever is
trying to build the package to go sulk in a hole if they do not respect it,
OR disable the automatic rebuilding.

To disable the automatic rebuilding, you need to either remove the offending
lines from the makefiles (very easy if using automake .am files, not that
easy otherwise), or to fix the timestamp skew by updating the timestamp of
the correct files.

See autotools-dev README file for more details.

  Henrique Holschuh