Re: automake fun

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:25:09PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > These rules can cause automake and/or autoconf to be rerun if
> > timestamp skew occurs (from, say, the application of a Debian diff).
>
> True, but everything still works if the build system is missing
> automake.  I gather that is the "problem" you perceive?

I don't know what the right answer is, but I think I
understand the problem.

The build attempt may then fail if automake1.5 is installed
and the Makefile.am's aren't compatible with v1.5.  Or,
conversely, automake is installed and the Makefile.am was
developed for automake1.5.  This is only a problem if the
source didn't depend on an appropriate version of automake,
which conflict with each other, and timestamps suggest
a rebuild.

There may be more broken scenarios Colin was interested in
finding a general solution for.

-neil