Re: automake fun

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:06:15PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> So,
>
> A lot of packages out there use automake to generate their Makefile.in
> files.  The problem with this is that automake puts the following
> rules in:
>
> ,----[ Makefile.in rules ]

    [ ... for regenerating out-of-date Makefile, Makefile.am ... ]

> These rules can cause automake and/or autoconf to be rerun if
> timestamp skew occurs (from, say, the application of a Debian diff).

True, but everything still works if the build system is missing
automake.  I gather that is the "problem" you perceive?

The autotools are specifically designed so that the packages can be
built on systems with nothing more than standard "make" (and compiler,
of course).  In such case, the make variable AUTOMAKE is set to invoke
the "missing" script, which is basically a glorified "touch".

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,
by Airplane to the Rocket,