Re: Freeze Update [2001/11/19]

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.40.0111201004001.30992-100000@kolmogorov.unex.es>,
Santiago Vila  <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> What's wrong with the 3.22 and up series of procmail anyway?
>> I'd rather see that 3.22 *did* go into testing, please.
>
>If you refer to procmail not delivering properly to Maildir folders,
>it's fixed in 3.15.2 (available in woody). If you refer to procmail not
>delivering to Maildir folders in qmail style, well, yes, this is only
>fixed in 3.22 or 3.23pre.

Correct. For example pine barfs on it.

>* 3.22 is supposed to be stable, and does Maildir delivering in qmail
>style, but it has nasty bugs so I would never want to see in woody
>(details in the changelog for 3.23pre).

A so 3.22 isn't stable at all. I though that only 3.21 was a failure
and that 3.22 was allright. Well that is a good answer to my
question "What's wrong with 3.22" I guess.

>* 3.23pre seems to do everything right, and it has been in unstable
>for 8 days without any problem so far. The only problem is that it's a
>prerelease and I don't have an "ok" from the author to distribute it,
>but on the other hand, he has been silent for more than one month and
>he didn't say "no" either (does anybody know where is he?). I can
>package it as 3.22 + patches (as it's currently done in unstable) but
>the result would not really differ from 3.23pre in behaviour or code.
>
>I need a little bit of advice here. Under these circumstances, would
>be ok to upload 3.22 + all-patches-from-3.23pre for unstable and let
>it pass to woody?

If I was in your position I'd take only the bugfixes from 3.23pre,
integrate them with 3.22, and try to make sure that the resulting
package is indeed stable enough. If so, upload it. How can it be
tested otherwise? If it turns out to be OK it will go into woody
automatically. As long as it doesn't put mail into /dev/null, ofcourse.

I had the same problem with squid 2.3 - the squid head honcho
(Henrik) kept saying that 2.3 wasn't nearly as stable as 2.2,
and 2.4 would be "the" version. In the end I did package 2.3 and
it turned out that it worked just fine, perhaps even smoother
than 2.2, and it fixed a number of bugs as well. Sometimes you
can be too conservative.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.