Re: Freeze Update [2001/11/19]

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> What's wrong with the 3.22 and up series of procmail anyway?

This is a very good question, because I have some sort of dilemma here
(or maybe I should say "trilemma" :-). I'm open to suggestions.

> They fix serious bugs that make it impossible for me (and presumably
> other people) to run the weird 3.15-disguised-as-3.21 series ...
>
> There was a "serious" bug open against procmail about this but
> the maintainer closed it - however the fix is NOT going into
> testing, it's only in unstable (#103278)
>
> I'd rather see that 3.22 *did* go into testing, please.

If you refer to procmail not delivering properly to Maildir folders,
it's fixed in 3.15.2 (available in woody). If you refer to procmail not
delivering to Maildir folders in qmail style, well, yes, this is only
fixed in 3.22 or 3.23pre. My dilemma is as follows:

* 3.15.2 is quite stable, but does not do Maildir delivering in qmail style
(some people seem to need this).

* 3.22 is supposed to be stable, and does Maildir delivering in qmail
style, but it has nasty bugs so I would never want to see in woody
(details in the changelog for 3.23pre).

* 3.23pre seems to do everything right, and it has been in unstable
for 8 days without any problem so far. The only problem is that it's a
prerelease and I don't have an "ok" from the author to distribute it,
but on the other hand, he has been silent for more than one month and
he didn't say "no" either (does anybody know where is he?). I can
package it as 3.22 + patches (as it's currently done in unstable) but
the result would not really differ from 3.23pre in behaviour or code.

I need a little bit of advice here. Under these circumstances, would
be ok to upload 3.22 + all-patches-from-3.23pre for unstable and let
it pass to woody?