Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 05:22:53PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> From: "Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@home.com>
> Subject: Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:53:34 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Policy does not require files in /etc to be marked as conffiles.  When I
>
> Agreed.  Then don't you think that the lintian' message is
> inappropriate?

no, /etc files shipped IN the package, must be conffiles, no
question.

files created by the maintainer scripts in /etc but not shipped in the
package at all do not have to be conffiles, but lintian won't know
about those and thus will not warn you about them.

> I didn't inspect such issue yet so I could not say much
> but, at least, maintainers want/need to replace conffiles
> if there are such substantial changes to them in version up,

it is never ever acceptable for a maintainer to destroy the admin's
config files.  period.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/