Re: lintian and (non-)conffiles in /etc

> No, I did not try to convince you policy says otherwise
> but, at least to me who is not a native English speaker,
> it sounds that policy does not say clearly that all files
> in /etc should be conffiles.
>
> On the contrary it looks to me that policy says small subset
> of the files in /etc are conffiles.
>
> And the statement on the difference between configuration
> files and conffiles seems very confusing.

Policy does not require files in /etc to be marked as conffiles.  When I
implemented the lintian check I tried hard to find an example that showed a
file in /etc that belonged in a package but was not marked as a conffile.  I
could not find one nor could other people.  No one has yet given an example.
As Ben says, policy may not require it but practice is backing it up.